I don’t know about you, but sometimes, in the cold winter months when all the Christmas decorations are put away and you’re just dreaming about spring, you start wishing for something. Something fun and cute. Some way to make the gray and brown and white more bearable. Well, this penguin craft is just the thing! Who doesn’t love a cute little penguin? I know that the pinecone penguins we made during 31 Days of Easy Crafts for Kids were just so cute and fun! Well, today, I have another great penguin craft for you! And these are great because they’re made of mostly recycled (or upcycled) materials!
Materials for the Upcycled Penguin Craft
An empty (DRY!!) water bottle
About 40-50 cotton balls
Googly eyes or buttons
Yellow or orange pipe cleaner (you only need a small piece)
White school glue
How to Make your Upcycled Penguin Craft
Now comes the fun part!
1. Give your child the empty (DRY!!) water bottle and a bag of cotton balls. Tell them to stuff away!
2. While they’re stuffing, cut two wings, the feet piece, and a strip that will wrap around the lid to make the head from the black felt. Make sure you cut the head piece a little big so it can overlap itself.
3. Cut the beak piece from the pipe cleaner.
4. Have your child glue the face (beak and eyes) on to the middle of the head piece. Then, have them glue the wings and feet onto the water bottle. To glue on the feet, just place the felt flat on the table and put on some glue. Stand the water bottle on top and let dry. Just be sure your child doesn’t add too much glue. H added a LOT and it ended up soaking through the felt and gluing her penguin’s feet down to the table. Not a huge deal, just a bit of a mess. He had to finish drying laying down.
5. When the face is dry, glue the black strip into a ring. Measure to be sure the ring will fit over the water bottle lid. Have your child pinch the ring shut while the glue drys a bit. After a couple minutes, they can put it on the water bottle lid to finish drying.
That’s it! A simple penguin craft to make these cold winter days a little more cheery!