Cooking is a great way to teach your children many different lessons. From fractions to the science of solutions, there is so much to learn! If you’re concerned about the safety or practicality of cooking with your children, check out this post, Messes Make Memories: Baking with Toddlers Made Easy.
Today, instead of giving a more specific lesson idea, I’m going to give you a list of things kids can learn while cooking. These vary greatly by your child’s age and ability.
Things Kids Learn Through Cooking with Mom
- Fractions (1/2 cup vs 1 cup)
- Reading (Recipes, labels, etc.)
- Solutions vs. Mixtures
- Vocabulary (puree, dice, dissolve, etc.)
- Health Foods vs. Junk Foods
- Melting vs. Freezing
- How to improve food flavor
- Safety around heat
- Addition, multiplication, division (in doubling a recipe or cutting it down)
I’m sure there are many more things children can learn while cooking. I’d love if you shared some of them in the comments!